Subscribe to my feed...

Monday 17 July 2006

The Jive Dive...

This was a fantastic secondhand record shop in Hampton Hill where Todd Blogney and I misspent our early teenage years, gawping endlessly at the huge King Creole poster they had up and wondering how we were ever going to save up the £7.00 it would cost us to own that copy of the hard-to-find Kid Galahad EP. I remember spending hours sideling around trying to pluck up the courage to ask for a discount on a 70s pressing of A Hard Day's Night - it cost £2.50 and I only had £2.25 with me. Eventually, I braced myself and went up to the gentle, blonde-bequiffed proprietor and asked "could I have a bit off this one please?", to which he replied, "yeah, of course - which bit would you like?"

It was an important part of Blogney's and my childrenhood, and we were devastated when it closed down c. 1979. So you can imagine how pleased I was to see that the fella is now based in Bournemouth and still trading online. I think you all owe it to this kind and splendid soul to go out and buy a turntable just so that you can spend some money on his fabulous collection of vintage records, a scant reward for all the work he did in the late 1970s keeping kids like Blogney and me off the streets and on the straight and narrer....





Subscribe to The Robert Swipe Show



© 2006 Swipe Enterprises

No comments:

Post a Comment